Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday 26 April 2012

Harry Potter JSk Dress

Just a couple of new things to show you guys today. I finally managed to get my hands on some Harry Potter fabric - this is a feat considdering the WB discontinued the fabrics in 2002 and the only people I've found selling them online are charging an arm and a leg for them. (literally one person wants $95 or something for one yard of my fav print - obscene!) I managed to scour the depths of the net and find a livejournal post from someone dated sometime in 2008 and she had 2 yards of this print she was destashing.

She was selling it together with 2 yards of the mottled blue fabric (both have fine silver sparkles too) for a steal of a deal. I was weary about contacting her because the post was so old and I thought for sure such a good deal wouldnt have been passed up in the last 4 years. I was wrong. Not only was it still available, it was the same price! I won't say how much I got it for (buyer/seller protection and all that) but I will tell you it was less than half of what I have seen that particular print go for. AND I got all 4 yards for that one price! Damn good deal. So anywhoo, I got the fabric in the mail, oooh'd and aaaw'd at it for a while then put it in my "to make projects" box. It wasn't in there a full week before I broke it out and made my dress. I just couldnt let it sit as a yardage when it had clearly sat on a shelf or something untouched for so long. It deserved to be used! I couldn't decide on a design to use so I just used my old trusty box pleated jsk design with a few alterations. It is a really simple and basic design so it is really easy to change the look of the dress when worn depending on what I wear it with.
The main alterations were that I moved the natural waistline to the empire waistline to accomodate my growing belly (this dress will be worn throughout the pregnancy), and the hemline sits a few inches lower than normal again to accomodate the belly. I hate it when I have a hem that sits perfect and then the belly raises it a few inches and then it looks too short. I am already short so I don't need to make myself look even shorter with a weirdly placed mini.
Here's the finished dress shown over a single tier petticoat. I think I'll most likely ditch the petticoat for the summer because of the heat involved but once it starts getting cooler in the fall I'll actually wear my regular crinoline with it. I think it will look really cute with a cardigan and flats. Also can be dressed up easilly with a dressy cap sleeved blouse, jewellery, and low sparkly heels. Or if you're me and weird, probably my 3/4 sleeve crop cardi, sparkly jewellery, and either my saddle shoes or some wicked 5" heels. I haven't decided yet.
I also made these little bow brooches to wear with it.

I first put them at the top bust line where the strap meets but it looked a bit busy with the box pleat detailing underneath for a casual look so I moved them to the empire waist at the bottom of the princess seams. They look much better there :) But because they're brooches I can move them around really wherever I want or remove them entirely which is nice. The beads underneath are hand strung swarovski bicone crystals in Golden Shadow, Sapphire, and Dark Sapphire in 3mm and 4mm. They give just enough sparkle with movement to be pretty but not overbearing.


I've got a bunch more maternity summer dresses planned and I want to have them all done in the next month or so but we'll see how that actually goes :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment