Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Darling Girl Blogger Set Review

A while ago I had the lovely chance to try a blogger sample set for Darling Girl Cosmetics and finally got around to swatching them. Each set comes with 5 samples of your choice which is really nice - you can pick the shades you really like as opposed to a pre-set pack where some of the colors just dont work for your skin tone and leaves you with a slightly tainted view of the company. Now, there are some companies that have pre-made packs that actually have very good colors in them so I'm by no means making an assumption, just a generalized observation.

I chose the following in my set: Eyeshadows in Butterfly Flutterby, Garden of Weedin, Rainbow Brite, and Lucky; and for my last one I requested the owner to select a lip sample of her choice and she chose one of her most popular holo-glosses Miami.

Left Column: Lucky over primer, Lucky over black base
Mid Column: Butterfly Flutterby, Garden of Weedin, Rainbow Brite - all over primer
Right Column: Miami holo-gloss

Miami:
DGC -
Miami is a gorgeous, bright, cheery pink base warmed by loads of gold and copper shimmer. It reminds me of the gorgeous pinks I saw while watching the sun set in Miami. This is my go-to gloss in the spring/summer months.

Holo-glosses are perfect for ladies who don't like a lot of color, but still want something a little special to wear.  While these are sheer shades, they have a fantastic sheen/finish.
 
Me -
I found that the color was a bit more orangy than pink toned but it has enough pinky-ness to work wonderfully with my weird skin tone. It does go on very sheer (this swatch is very layered to show the color) but it is obviously buildable. It is also very nice over top of a stain or lipstick. I found the texture to be mostly slick with a tiny bit of tackiness but I guess without the stickiness the glitters wouldnt stay in place.
 
Butterfly Flutterby:
DGC -
Butterfly Flutterby is a gorgeous, lustrous aqua with lime green glitter. I love grays or charcoals with aquas. Thistle or Smoking Gun would look beautiful with it.
 
Me -
Again I found the color description to be a bit different. I found it more leaning blue than aqua but you can definitely tell there is an aqua but in there. Texture wise it is very smooth and easy to apply. I found it to be very sheer when dry so use a primer unless you're not fond of in your face colors.
 
Garden of Weedin:
DGC -
 Gorgeous blue/green pearl with flash of fine pink sparkles.

Me -
Once again I found the color different than the description. I find it's more forest green than tealy with more silver sparkle than pink. Still a very lovely color though.

Rainbow Brite:
DGC -
Rainbow Brite is a pale, baby pink with red shift and a rainbow of star sprinkles

Me -
DGC says on their site that the Rainbow Brite collection is a set of duochrome highlighters so the colors are very pale when used by themselves but change and darken dramatically when swatched over a black base. I have shown this effect with Lucky but not Rainbow Brite (which goes more magenta over a black base).
Right on the money here. Pale pale pink with rainbow sparkles :)

Lucky:
DGC -
Lucky is the only sprite in the collection. It is a pale white with turquoise iridescence in the jar, but when swatched, a beautiful green flash is seen along with blue, green, and red/pink sparkles

Me -
I have to say I love this collection (I have a few of them) and the light color shift in the highlight is wonderful. When swatched over a black base however I feel it looses it's pink sparkles but everything else is still there and the base color is enchanting.


I have a bunch of other DGC products which I will review later on but I have to say I am very pleased with this company and their makes. The shadows are velvety smooth, blend like a dream, and are generally true to color. I have had some problems with a few of the other shades I have just because of my weird skin tone changing the color slightly but that is literally just me. Do yourself a favor and check them out :) They have some very good collections and one offs that are hilariously named (I myself need to get "The Phantom of the Taupra" just cause of the name :)).

Darling Girl Cosmetics: http://www.darlinggirlcosmetics.com/
DGC Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/dgcosmetics

0 comments:

Post a Comment